This plugin adds a XML sitemap to your blog. It’s used to show all your pages and posts to the search engines like Google, Yahoo and MSN. The plugin is really simple to use. After installation you need just to activate it.
- Download the zip file (latest version | older versions).
- Unzip it and copy the folder named karailievs-sitemap into <blog_root>/wp-content/plugins folder.
- In the administrator’s panel go to Plugins, find the plugin in the list and click activate.
- Go to Settings->Sitemap. If you see an Error message about sitemap.xml look at the next step. If you do not see any errors skip the next step.
- Create writeable sitemap.xml file into the blog’s root folder (that’s where index.php file is).
In case you use Linux hosting you can either change the file’s owner to the user that the web server uses (I have default Apache 2 installation and the username is www-data) or to change the file’s permissions and make it writable to everyone.
If you have SSH access you can follow these steps:
- Login to your account
- Type cd /path/to/your/blog/
- Type touch sitemap.xml
- In case you have root access login as root and type chown <webserver-username> ./sitemap.xml
In case you do not have root access or do not know the web server’s username type chmod 666 ./sitemap.xml
If you have some problems doing this, contact your hosting support. Explain them what you need and they may be very helpful.
- In the administrator’s panel go to Settings->Sitemap. By turning the sitemap on you generate your initial sitemap. If you skip this step the sitemap will be generated automatically when you write new post, but will contain only the blog’s homepage. You need to do this only the first time.
To access the sitemap’s settings go to your dministrator’s panel->Settings->Sitemap. There few checkboxes. The plugin will work fine with the default settings.
Note: When it’s on the plugin will update the sitemap file every time the blog’s content changes. When it’s off the sitemap will still be there, but only the homepage will be included.
This plugin is under GPL. This means you can use it, modify it and distribute it free of charge. But if you like it and want to support the future development you can donate via PayPal. I will also appreciate if you link me in you blog, so the plugin gets more popular.
If you have some questions, bug reports, suggestions, want personal modifications or just want to let a comment, you can do it here. I’ll try to answer ASAP.